Roughly 80 non-urgent surgeries will be cancelled this week
Winnipeg hospitals are cancelling dozens of surgeries this week to make room on the wards for patients sick with the flu.
The Winnipeg Regional Health Authority announced late Monday that roughly 80 elective and non-emergency surgeries scheduled this week would be postponed.
The news comes just after flu season began to peak last week, with officials reporting the severity of the H3N2 strain resulting in more hospitalizations and worse symptoms than previous years. Despite many doctors’ claims that immunization is the best defence against the respiratory virus, only 19 per cent of Manitobans have gotten the vaccination.
However, emergency and cancer surgeries will continue as planned, he said, as will day surgeries, which do not require overnight use of inpatient beds.
Patients will be contacted if their surgeries need to be delayed, he said.
Across Winnipeg, about 70 extra beds and 68 surgery beds have been opened at hospitals for patients sick with influenza.
Hospitals are continuing to transfer patients out of hospitals to long-term care facilities in an attempt to free up more beds.
SOURCE: CBC NEWS MANITOBA