Manitoba prepared to stand alone in health-care fight with Ottawa: Pallister

 

 

Manitoba is not worried about being the last province standing in a health-funding dispute with Ottawa and will not be rushed into accepting any deals, Premier Brian Pallister said Monday.

 

“We’re standing alone. I’m not afraid of that and I’m not anything but proud of the fact we’re willing to do that,” Pallister told reporters.

 

“I’m not going to be intimidated by a threat and I’m not going to be worried about other people’s deadlines. The reality is, for Manitobans, we need (federal) support and partnership.”

 

Manitoba became the final holdout last week, when the federal government signed bilateral health agreements with Quebec, Ontario and Alberta after months of heated negotiations.

 

The dispute started last fall, when Ottawa said it would limit annual health-transfer increases to three per cent a year — half the six per cent annual increase set out in the last long-term agreement with the provinces.

 

Follow  this story on CBC News link:

 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-health-funding-pallister-1.4023461

 

 

Posted in All Stories, News
Winnipeg
16°
overcast clouds
humidity: 87%
wind: 8m/s SE
H 21 • L 16
15°
Wed
Weather from OpenWeatherMap

+ Upcoming Events

  1. Scotiabank AIDS Walk Winnipeg

    September 24 @ 11:30 am - 2:00 pm
  2. Change & Resilience—Mental Health Networking & Resource Expo

    September 29 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm

+ On-Air & Shows